February 21, 2017

Savoury Breakfast Muffins or Cookies


As some of you may know I eat my breakfast on the train due to my work commute. I am always on the look out for on-the-go breakfasts that actually taste good!

I have found quite a few sweet options but never a good savoury one. I am more of a savoury breakfast kind of girl. I am not a fan of cold or reheated eggs so mufflets were not at the top of my to-try list. 

Well, my on-the-go savoury breakfast wishes have come true! I came up with this recipe by tweaking another recipe I found online. 





Recipe

Savoury Breakfast Cookies/Muffins - THM S & Low Carb. 

Makes 12 cookies or muffins. 

Store the finished cookies/muffins in the refrigerator or freezer for a great grab and go breakfast! I reheat mine for 20 seconds as I'm running out the door, but they also taste awesome cold. Make sure you let them fully cool on a cooling rack before packing them away. No-one likes a soggy breakfast! 

Ingredients: 
* 100g of pork sausage or the sausage meat from inside a 10 pack of breakfast sausages. I used the Hellers brand because they seem to have the cleanest ingredients list at my supermarket. 
* 6 pieces of streaky bacon (or similar) chopped
* ½ cup onion, diced 
* 1 cup of capsicum/peppers, diced (about 2 large). 
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ½ teaspoon pepper
* ½ teaspoon garlic powder
* 1-2 teaspoons of your favourite dried herbs (to taste). 
* 1 cup almond flour
* 1/2 cup protein isolate powder (or more almond flour)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 6 eggs
* 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional another 1/2 cup for sprinkling over top)



Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 190 C or 375 F. 
2. Remove the sausage meat from the casings and break it up to resemble ground meat. 
3. Sauté the sausage meat, bacon, onions and capsicums/peppers until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft. Take off heat and let cool.
4. In the meantime, to a large bowl, add almond flour, protein powder, salt, pepper, seasonings and baking powder and mix. Move mixture to the side of the bowl. 
5. In the other side of the bowl add in and beat the eggs, then add the cup of cheese and mix into the eggs. 
6. Mix the eggs and cheese in with the flour mixture. Then add the cooled sausage mixture and mix to combine.
7. Place big spoonfuls of the mixture on a cookie sheet/tray lined with greased baking paper, as you would to make cookies. I use an ice cream scoop for this step. Alternatively, you can scoop the batter into a greased and lined muffin pan (or use silicone). 
8. My batter was quite runny, for this recipe that's normal. Sprinkle with cheese (optional) and bake for 8-10 minutes. 

It's important that you cool these on a rack, so if you made muffins remove them from the pan as soon as they are cool enough to handle. If you leave them too long they will go soggy. Once they have fully cooled, store them in an air-tight container in your fridge or freezer. 

For more THM recipes check out my social media: 


Pinterest: https://nz.pinterest.com/btryingskinny/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/busytryingskinny/

To find out more about THM go here: http://www.trimhealthymama.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post